Ikpeba: Eagles Need New Coach

–Former Eagles forward calls for Keshi to be replaced
Former Nigeria international Victor Ikpeba has called for the removal of current Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi following last Saturday’s 1-0 loss to Sudan in a 2015 AFCON qualifying GAME in Khartoum.
Ikpeba stated this yesterday as an analyst on Monday Night Football on SuperSport.
“I have played for this country, this country made me who I am today, it is my responsibility to say my mind and nobody can stop me from saying my mind. We need a change of who manages the Super Eagles,” says Ikpeba.
Look at the South African team and see what has changed in the team? Before Shakes Mashaba took over the team they were nothing to write home about but now they are made up of very youthful side. And at the weekend, they made life very difficult for the Congolese.
“It is only in Nigeria that we don’t give chance to young players. It’s either the player is too young or too old. Football is about talent but our problem is we always struggle to give chance to young players. There is no rule in modern football that says a 17-year-old cannot play for the senior national team.”
The 1994 AFCON winner stated further: “Nobody is saying Keshi has not done well, he has done well but the biggest problem is that when our coaches become successful they tend to compromise and become too sentimental. I have been asked why am I being too harsh on Keshi, the truth is I am just doing my job; it doesn’t matter whether he was my former captain.
“The truth is in this difficult period, we have been playing badly, our football has not been so good. As a young lad, I dreamt of playing like the (Segun) Odegbamis, (Adokiye) Amasiemeka, players with technique who can spring surprises on the opponent but unfortunately, there are no elements of surprises in our GAME. Look at the Sudanese, they can pass the ball with ease but our players can’t do that.
“We need to ask the question: are we going to be sentimental because Keshi won the AFCON? The truth is that we have to move forward, we have to develop our football and we have to make sure our league is very strong. I have respect for Keshi but presently and with all honesty, we need a change of coach in the Super Eagles.”
(SOURCE: Complete Sports)

0 Comments